Cilantro ice cream

I was recently reminded of the phenomena that is people who hate cilantro. They blame it on genetics, but really, that is the coward's way out. I feel pity for these people who don't understand the magic of this fresh green herb that brings sunshine to so many dishes from around the world.

Coupled with the recent, yet brief, sunny weather we've been having, this inspired me to break in the ice cream machine my sister had given me for Christmas, and I quickly blended up a batch of refreshing cilantro ice cream. Cashews and coconut milk create ultimate creaminess, while a touch of lime compliments the bright flavor of cilantro.



Cilantro ice cream, about 1 quart

2 c. raw cashews, soaked for 1-2 hours, then rinsed and drained
1 - 13.5 oz can of coconut milk (full fat)
1 c. water
3/4 - 1 c. unrefined cane sugar
1 vanilla bean
1 large bunch of cilantro (about 2 c.)
zest of 1 lime

Combine everything in a blender, then blend until smooth. Easy, right? You can adjust the level of sugar, depending on how sweet you like your ice cream. Remember, the frozen, final product won't taste as sweet as the blended mix.

Pour into a container, then cover and refrigerate until chilled (a couple hours at least, but overnight is great.)

Process according to the instructions on your ice cream maker, then enjoy!

11 comments:

bazu said...

AND coconut? I'm in heaven!

Jenna said...

Ummmmm we need to have an ice cream party soon.

Amy said...

This is SO awesome! I HAVE to be trying it for sure (and a double yay from me for being soy free!)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! This will come in VERY handy for our ice cream swap this summer. We're doing a soup swap in a couple of weeks, but need summer stuff, too!

Anonymous said...

dude...dude!

Pranjal said...

Thank you for taking the cause of cilantro (coriander!) to new and creamy frontiers.

Kiki said...

This looks yummy!!!! I am going to have to try making this over the weekend. yummy!!!! I can't wait...

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Wow. I mean, WOW. I dunno!

nora said...

damn, cilantro ICE CREAM?! wow

Anonymous said...

Yum! I just planted cilantro, now I can't wait until I have enough to make this recipe!

Stella said...

This sounds like a winner!